[GWAMIT] Announcements

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Dec 6 10:33:05 EST 2010

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Enjoy the week!

The GWAMIT Board

Visit us at: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu

Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu

========

IN BRIEF

========

GWAMIT:

1. GWAMIT is Recruiting New Leaders!

2. Join the GWAMIT Spring 2011 Empowerment Conference Planning Committee!

MIT:

3. Request for Submissions for Saturday Night @ MIT Project (Submissions to: saturdaynightatmit at mit.edu)

4. [Tue 12/7] Internship Search Strategies (12-1 pm, webinar)

5. [Wed 12/8] First Sexual Assault Awareness Week Planning Meeting (2 pm, E23-319)

6. [Wed 12/8] Women in Mathematics Seminar (5:30 pm, 2-135)

7. [Th 12/9] GWG Lunch (12-1 pm, Cheney Room, 3-310)

Outside MIT:

8. [Tue 12/7] “Conversations for College Grads” (6-9pm, Suffolk University, Omni Parker House, the Kennedy Room)

9. [Thur 12/9] Massachusetts Conference for Women (Boston Convention and Exhibition Center)

=====================

FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS

=====================

********GWAMIT********

1. GWAMIT is Recruiting New Leaders!

Executive Board

Co-Chairs (3 positions):
- Internal collaborations - maintain relations with MIT offices for financial and other collaborations
- External relations - maintain corporate and other relations
- General co-chair - oversee smooth operations across GWAMIT activities
GWAMIT Treasurer - maintain budget and financial collaborations

Spring '11 Women's Empowerment Conference (meetings starting next week!):

- Co-Chair (1 position) of Planning Committee - oversee events, hold Planning Committee Meetings, attend Exec Mtgs

- Funding Chair - meet with potential sponsors, help manage budget

- Logistics Chair - help reserve rooms, catering

- Publicity/advertizing chair - design flyers, posters, email advertisements

Mentoring Program

- Co-Chair (1 Spring, 1 Fall) - hold Planning Committee Meetings, oversee matching, events, attend Exec Mtgs

- Planning Committee Members - develop matching surveys, plan kick-off/end-off dinners

Fall '11 Leadership Conference

- Co-Chair (1 position) of Planning Committee - oversee events, hold Planning Committee Meetings, attend Exec Mtgs

- Individual Event Leads - set content, coordinate speakers

- Funding Chair - meet with potential sponsors, help manage budget

- Logistics Chair - help reserve rooms, catering

- Publicity/advertizing chair - design flyers, posters, email advertisements

Monthly Collaborative Events Leads (Feb, Apr)

- 2 positions - work w/ Exec Member to plan a 1-time event in collaboration with existing MIT offices and services, undergraduates, other universities

Interested? Please send a statement of your interest to gwamit-exec at mit.edu

2. Join the GWAMIT Spring Women's Week Planning Committee!

Contact: jeanyang at mit.edu

Do any of the following describe you?

- You were impressed with our Spring 2010 Kick-Off and want to see more of these events.

- You want to get more involved with GWAMIT.

- You want more leadership experience to further your personal/professional development.

- You want to work with strong, motivated, and passionate women.

- You have an idea for a talk/panel/workshop.

If so, you should join our Spring 2011 Empowerment Conference Planning Committee.  Help us bring innovative, provocative, and informative events to campus!

To see what we did last spring, take a look here:

Event page: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit/events/spring2010.html

Blog post: http://gwamit.blogspot.com/2010/05/spring-kick-off-2010-in-review.html

Last year we bootstrapped ourselves from having no initial budget/collaborators, so this year can only be even more amazing.  Come be a part of it!

There are varying levels of commitment from helping out with specific tasks to leading an event.  No previous event planning/GWAMIT experience required.  We especially encourage students in their early years of grad school to get involved.

E-mail jeanyang at mit.edu for more details or to sign-up.

Questions? Contact Kelley Adams, adam at med.mit.edu

Submissions to: saturdaynightatmit at mit.edu

The Violence Prevention & Response team is working on a website called Saturday Night @ MIT in the spring, which will contain stories about how sexual and/or domestic violence has touched people’s lives.

We are looking for survivor stories, as well as stories from partners, friends, parents, and other people close to survivors about how violence has affected their lives or how they have seen it affect others’ lives.

We are accepting written stories, art work, poetry, videos, and other artistic expressions inspired by people’s experiences or issues of violence generally.

The Saturday Night project was started by Duke

(http://www.duke.edu/web/saturdaynight/index.html) and has spread to

other colleges nationally, including Harvard

(http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~osapr/saturdaynight.html).

These schools focus on creating a publication from the stories they collect, in order to distribute in April, which is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. We are bringing an online version of the Saturday Night project to MIT so we can accommodate more tech-savvy multi-media submissions.

All submissions should go to saturdaynightatmit at mit.edu

We are by no means going to censor anyone’s story, but we will edit it to remove any personally identifying information. Please see our guidelines:

1. You can submit a text post, a video, or share a video link. Please send all submissions to saturdaynightatmit at mit.edu

2. You do not need to use your real name or real email address unless you desire to do so.

3. Submissions will be approved by site administrators before they are put on the site. Please contact the site manager (saturdaynightatmit at mit.edu) if you have any questions.

4. Your stories are your stories and should be presented in the form in which you intend. However, please know that we will need to edit any personally identifying information out of your submission (i.e. names, affiliations, etc.).

4. Internship Search Strategies (webinar)

When:  Tuesday Dec 7, 2010, noon -1pm

Where: online

RSVP: Advanced registration required at http://bit.ly/9WqoRs

There are lots of great resources at MIT - and beyond - to help you find internship opportunities. We will talk about how and where to look, creating a search plan, discussing the written materials you will need, and why internships are so important anyway.

Advanced registration required at http://bit.ly/9WqoRs

Presented by GECD, MIT Career Services.  For more information: 617-253-4733, mitco at mit.edu

5. First Sexual Assault Awareness Week Planning Meeting

When: Wednesday, December 8th at 2 pm

Where: E23-319

Contact: Kelley Adams at adam at med.mit.edu

The first meeting to plan Sexual Assault Awareness Week activities for the spring has been set for Wednesday, December 8th at 2 pm in E23-319 (at MIT Medical). There is a relatively large committee that is working on this, but it would be excellent if we could get some input from GWAMIT women on ideas for events, things that have and have not worked in the past, recommendations, etc.

You can give us (the Violence Prevention and Response team in Community Wellness) feedback via email (adam at med.mit.edu) or you can certainly come to our committee meeting. We are hoping to plan some really great events and your input is very important to us. We look forward to hearing from you!

6. Women in Mathematics Seminar

When: Wednesday December 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Where: MIT's Building 2, Room 135

Speaker: Giulia Sarfatti (UMI and University of Florence)

Title: Functions of a Quaternionic Variable

Pizza following the talk.

For an abstract, please visit: http://math.mit.edu/wim/events/seminars

This is a series of generally accessible talks (starting from advanced undergraduates) by female research visitors to MIT's Mathematics Department.

7. GWG Lunch

When: Thursday, Dec 9, 12-1 pm

Where: Cheney Room, 3-310

We invite you all to join us for the last GWG lunch of the semester, to be held next Thursday, December 9th at noon in the Margaret Cheney Room (3-310).  Please come for some lunch, a ‘brain food’ holiday present to-go, and the pleasant company.

**********Outside MIT**********

8. “Conversations for College Grads”

When: Tuesday, December 7th, 6:00pm-9:00pm

Where: Omni Parker House, the Kennedy Room

Hosted by: Suffolk University’s Women in Business

Hor'devours and beverages will be served, networking to follow.

Our fall final event this semester will be a fun, educational and interactive event geared to help prepare upcoming business professionals with the confidence and knowledge in any business environment. The event will be hosted by Marianne Cohen the Vice-President of Mannersmith, a well-known and respected etiquette consulting company.  From their presentation we will “learn how to handle business situations, from conferences to cocktail parties, with poise and confidence.”  You will have the opportunity to practice what you learn in this seminar.

Mannersmith will cover such topics as:

•           What to Know Before You Go

•           Name tags: Where They Go and Why

•           Handshakes: Lessons from Goldilocks

•           Introductions: What They Say About You

•           Body Language: What You Are Really Saying

•           Conversation: Business versus Social

•           Connecting With Clients and Customers

•           Building Business Relationships

We are required to charge a fee of $10 per attendee; however, we will also be organizing our donation campaign for the Women’s Lunch Place, a shelter for homeless and poor women. As an alternative to the $10 fee we are asking for donations of travel size toiletry items, hats and gloves, as well as monetary donations.

We would greatly appreciate your company and look forward to seeing you at our event, please RSVP for Conversations for College Grads or visit our website at www.suwib.org.

9. Massachusetts Conference for Women

When: Dec 9

Where: Boston Convention and Exhibition

The sixth annual Massachusetts Conference for Women will be held December 9, 2010 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition. This unique event brings with it great opportunities for connection and collaboration! Learn more about the Conference at <http://www.maconferenceforwomen.org/>

Early registration is now open: https://www.event-registration.biz/mawc/introduction.asp

The Conference features dozens of expert speakers and panelists discussing the issues that matter most to women today, including career development and job security, business and entrepreneurship, work-life balance, personal finance, health, and more. We are still confirming our keynote speakers, so look for big announcements in the weeks to come.