[Econfon] addendum to tuesday's lecture

Noemi Giszpenc giszpenc at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 12:18:03 EDT 2004

There were a bunch of good questions during class on Tuesday. I found an
article online that explains a lot about the Federal Reserve System. Here it
is:
http://money.howstuffworks.com/fed.htm/printable

One of the questions on Tuesday was whether when the Fed sells securities
(to reduce the money supply), is that a creation of government debt. The
article doesn't say so explicitly, and I think the answer is no. The Fed is
the government's bank, but it doesn't have the power to create government
debt independently. I think that the answer is that there is just a certain
amount of government bonds in existence, and they have a different effect on
the economy if they are held by banks or by the Fed. I'll research it more
though and try to make sure.

See you next week,
Noemi