[Econfon] class 4 materials online

Noemi Giszpenc giszpenc at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 10:49:05 EST 2004

Hey class,
Thanks to those who made it to class through the snow last night--we had a
good time getting to the bottom of the theory and reality of supply and
demand.

I've posted an updated version of my lecture notes on the website, along
with the answers to problem set 3 and a brand-new problem set 4. There's
also a link to the upcoming (April) issue of Scientific American, which has
an article called "The Tyranny of Choice", about the negative psychological
effects of trying to maximize (instead of satisfice). This has interesting
implications for the economic theory we are learning. (The article is not
currently online, but hopefully it will be soon.)

We actually only made it about half-way through my notes last night, so next
week we'll be reviewing the conditions for perfect competition and then
exploring industries that diverge from those conditions--those with firms
that have market power (monopolies and oligopolies), and also markets that
have information problems.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Noemi