[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] ECCO surface boundary conditions: air-sea heat flux terms

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 8 18:59:29 EDT 2023

Hello,

In ECCO Version 4, Release 4 (as well as in previous releases 1-3), ERA-Interim long-wave and shortwave fluxes were used as the first guess, and they were subsequently adjusted through optimization.

The sensible and latent heat fluxes were estimated using atmospheric states (e.g., air temperature, specific humidity, etc.) and the ocean state (SST) with the Large and Yeager bulk formula. This provides fluxes more in tune with the model's underlying ocean state than those taken directly from ERA-Interim. As part of this process, we adjusted some atmospheric states through optimization. However, the sensible and latent heat fluxes directly from ERA-Interim could be used, allowing the optimization to adjust them.

Best,
Ou Wang