[ecco-support] ECCO v4r4 Initial Condition

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 9 00:39:04 EDT 2023

The fields in the pickup*.0000000001.data for V4r4 can be approximated as the initial condition of iter. 0 for V4r4.

V4r4 started iterating from the previous release V4r3 (which itself started from V4r2…), instead of an actual iter. 0. However, we usually consider V4r4’s iter. 0 (a.k.a., the control run) is the run that has all control adjustments set to zero and thus uses the first guess of initial conditions, mixing parameters, and atmospheric forcing. The first guess of the initial conditions is specified by those pickup*.0000000001.data. They are part of the V4r4 ancillary data, available at https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/dataset/ECCO_L4_ANCILLARY_DATA_V4R4.

Ou Wang