[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] A Question about the ecco_v4_py tutorial

Zhang, Hong (US 398K) hong.zhang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 21 12:18:04 EST 2023

On Dec 20, 2023, at 4:14 PM, Li Pan <lipan at udel.edu> wrote:

Dear ECCO team,

Thank you for developing the Python package ecco_v4_py!
I'm using your Python package tutorial to analyze the ECCO estimate Version 4. I find some regions in the global map of the advective flux of the potential temperature are not connected (For example, the eastern and western Atlantic Oceans are disconnected). Could you please provide me with some hints to address the problem?
Hi Li,
Actually there is another “disconnection” in Southern Ocean between Australia and Antarctica.
For vector field such as “ADVx_TH”, you need to combine its mate “ADVy_TH” to make rotation to show geographically.
Not sure how python works, but the matlab function is here for your reference:
<https://github.com/MITgcm/gcmfaces/blob/master/gcmfaces_calc/calc_UV_zonmer.m>
[gcmfaces.png]
gcmfaces/gcmfaces_calc/calc_UV_zonmer.m at master · MITgcm/gcmfaces<https://github.com/MITgcm/gcmfaces/blob/master/gcmfaces_calc/calc_UV_zonmer.m>
github.com<https://github.com/MITgcm/gcmfaces/blob/master/gcmfaces_calc/calc_UV_zonmer.m>