[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] ECCO V4r4: Components of TFLUX

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 11 17:02:29 EDT 2022

Hello Emily,

For ECCO V4r4, it is possible to estimate TFLUX using monthly averaged fields. Below is a brief description about how to do it. An example of Jupyter notebook is attached for your reference.

TFLUX = (EXFhs + EXFhl - EXFlwnet - EXFswnet + (TFLUX - oceQnet)) * (1-SIarea) + Other

- TFLUX: Rate of change of ocean heat content per m2 accounting for mass fluxes, >0 increase THETA
- EXFhs: Open ocean air-sea sensible heat flux, >0 increases THETA
- EXFhl: Open ocean air-sea latent heat flux, >0 increases THETA
- EXFlwnet: Net open ocean longwave radiative flux, >0 decreases THETA
- EXFswnet: Net open ocean shortwave radiative flux, >0 decreases THETA
- (TFLUX - oceQnet): Implied heat flux due to added mass, >0 increases THETA
- SIarea: Sea-ice concentration
- Other = (turbulent + conductive fluxes between ocean and sea-ice + penetrative shortwave flux thru sea-ice and residual due to using values averaged over a period longer than one time step). ECCO V4r4 does not save the terms on the right-hand side separately.

All terms except for SIarea (dimensionless) are in Wm-2.

Although it depends what time scales you are interested in, using monthly averages for the estimate is a good approximation. We may lose some precision along ice edges. Using daily means would likely help.

Best,
Ou Wang