[Dspace-general] DSpace/Fedora initial discussions on joint collaboration

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Sun Jun 1 08:31:07 EDT 2008

Dear members of the DSpace community,

Over the last few weeks, we (Michele Kimpton and Sandy Payette) have
been discussing the possibilities of our organizations collaborating.
The reasons for exploring the possibilities of collaboration are based
on the following:

	1.The missions of our non-profit organizations are very similar and
we are motivated to provide the best technology and services to many
of the same communities

	2.Over the next 12-18 months, our existing technology roadmaps
suggest convergence of thought in several key areas of our
architectural visions

	3.We are both motivated to show how our open source repositories
offer a unique value proposition compared to proprietary solutions

Over the past couple of weeks, we have had informal discussions with
members of our communities, leaders in libraries and higher education,
and Board members to get initial feedback as to whether they would
support collaboration and the outcomes they would like to see as a
result.

This past week, we convened members of both communities during the
PASIG conference to get input and ideas regarding a collaboration.

Thus far, all of the stakeholders we have had the opportunity to talk
with have been extremely supportive and excited about the possibility
of the Fedora and DSpace communities working together in some capacity.

As a result of these discussions, we have agreed to move forward in
our exploration of collaborative possibilities.  Over the next several
weeks our organizations will meet to plan the next steps in the
process. Our intent is to bring together the ideas and expertise
within both communities to come up with the most compelling issues to
work on to best serve our communities.

As we move through this process it is our commitment to ensure that
all discussions, meetings and decisions made are transparent and open
in the hopes to engage and inform the community.

We look forward to your ideas and inputs!

Best Regards,

Michele and Sandy