[Dspace-general] Custom Submission Screens

William Reilly wreilly at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 25 13:35:03 EDT 2004

On Oct 25, 2004, at 11:13 AM, courtois at ksu.edu wrote:

> Is it possible to create custom user submission screens for specific
> Communities or Collections?
> One change, for
> example, would be to remove the "Series/Report" field from the 2nd
> "Describe" screen.  Another change would be to add a pull-down menu of
> UMI subject categories to the 3rd "Describe" screen.  We'd like for
> these changes to apply only to an ETD Community/Collection and may have
> different changes to apply to other Communities/Collections.
>
> ...I just need to get a
> general idea if this sort of thing is possible or if the submission
> screens need to be consistent across all Communities and Collections.

Hi Marty,

(I don't know if there's been any response on dspace-theses)

You're looking for something many have requested before.  To date, yes,
out-of-the-box, the submission screens have had to be consistent across
all Communities and Collections. The good news is that a configurable
solution is nearing readiness as a test patch.

When the patch is applied to the current DSpace release, you will find
you may edit an XML configuration file (input-forms.xml) to define
collection-specific custom submission screens.  Your changes take
effect on restart of Tomcat.

We are looking to expedite testing with some adopters of an earlier
variant on this, and to provide the lists more information on the
patch's release before long.

Best,
William Reilly
Technical Analyst
Digital Library Research Group
MIT Libraries
Project Manager, CWSpace: http://cwspace.mit.edu
Archiving MIT's OpenCourseWare in DSpace