[Dspace-general] Best practice - serials and periodicals?

Gaelle Bozec Gaelle.Bozec at ub.uib.no
Mon Oct 11 10:43:52 EDT 2004

Hello,
Here at the Bergen University Library (Norway), we are currently running DSpace v1.2.

I was wondering what is the usual practice for those of you having registred serials and periodicals in DSpace.

- Do you register each volume as a collection and then each article as a single item in the defined collection? (Here I have a problem for the table of contents and the introduction of the volume). My choice was to give the file the name of the author and the file description is the title of the article...

- Do you register the serial as a collection? Then each item is a volume of the serial? In that case the item consists of several files (one file for one author, rigth?). Retriving the author is then a problem since I am not able to view a list of authors (the same with titles).

In one case, it's not easy to identify authors (because none are registred as authors) and in another case I'm not sure how I can best show each volume.

I'm not sure I'm clear here but hope that someone had the same thougths once and can share ideas and reflexions.

Best regards from Norway

Gaëlle Bozec
Bergen University Library, Norway