[Dspace-general] Question: replacing incorrect PDF

Richard Jones r.d.jones at ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 05:14:32 EDT 2004

Hi Anne,

I've included a segment from our ERA administration guide which details
how to change files in submitted items.  Where you see "ERA" (Edinburgh
Research Archive) it is safe to substitute "DSpace" in the following
text.  Note also that this is for DSpace v1.1.1, but should be almost
the same for DSpace v1.2

Hope this helps,

Regards

7.2. Submitted Item Contains Incorrect File

Note: changing files in the archive introduces some inconsistency in the
persistence of data in the archive.  For this reason changing files in
items should be done only when absolutely necessary.  Ideally it should
be done only immediately after an item has been submitted to the
archive, when it is clear that an error has occurred.  Otherwise the old
file should either be kept in the archive and the new file uploaded
alongside it, or a new item should be created containing the correct
files

A user has submitted an item which contains the wrong file.  There are
two possibilities for the current situation of the item:

1.	It is in the workflow
2.	It is in the archive

If it is in the workflow then the item should be rejected, and the user
may correct the error in their workspace.  This section deals with the
case where the item has already passed through the workflow and is in
the archive.

.	Instruct the user to send you the file that should be in the
archive, and to provide the information on the file which needs to be
removed.

.	Go to the ERA Administration area and select Items from the menu
on the left.  You will be given the option to enter a Handle or an
Internal ID.  For more information on handles see the section System
Definitions: Handle.

.	Enter the Handle or the Internal ID of the item you wish to
modify (most likely you will want to obtain the handle by browsing for
the item in the archive), and click Find.

.	From this Edit Item page you can change the properties of items
in the archive.  Scroll to the bottom and you will find a section
entitled Bitstreams which contains all the files associated with the
item.

.	Remove the metadata associated with the file to be removed.
These are the fields format.mimetype and format.extent.  Be sure to
select the correct entries as there may be more than one of each of
these fields if there are multiple files.

.	Find the file that you want to remove in the list of files and
select Remove.  The file will be immediately removed.

.	Add the new file by selecting Add Bitstream.  You will be taken
to a page entitled Upload Bitstream, where you click on Choose to select
a file on your machine to upload.  Once you have chosen a file click
Upload.

.	Add the metadata for the file you have just uploaded by
selecting from the pull-down menu at the bottom of the metadata listing:

o	format.extent: enter into the box next to it the size in bytes
of the file.
o	format.mimetype: enter the international standard mime-type for
the file format.  The mime-type is a code that helps define what sort of
file we have.  For example, text/plain is plain text and
application/msword is a Microsoft Word document.  For more information
on mime-types refer to specific documentation from standards bodies.

You need to click on Add after you enter each metadata element.

.	Once you have finished click on Update at the bottom of the
page.

Richard
-------
Richard Jones
Systems Developer               A crash reduces
Edinburgh University Library    your expensive computer
Theses Alive! project           to a simple stone

e: r.d.jones at ed.ac.uk
t: 0131 651 1612

Theses Alive! homepage: http://www.thesesalive.ac.uk/
Edinburgh Research Archive: http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/