[Dspace-general] Authoring tool development & publisher collaborations

Michael Leach leach at eps.harvard.edu
Wed May 5 17:25:13 EDT 2004

Folks,

     The Harvard Science Libraries will be launching a pilot institutional
repository using DSpace this summer.  We are actively looking at solutions
that will gather articles and other digital objects at the creation stage
in our communities.
     One avenue we are examining is the development of author tools that
will capture the relevant digital object (e.g. research article) as a given
faculty member, grad student, post doc, etc. is preparing to submit the
article to any given publisher.  Picture one such tool--a web-based form
that is customized by the author and contains those publishers/journals
he/she regularly submits to.  On this form is a radio button
(default--checked) that asks if the author wants the preprint deposited
into the institutional repository as it is sent off to review.  The form
could also have options for sending the article off to any given preprint
server as well (e.g. ArXiv).  The author makes the relevant choices on the
form, clicks once, and the article is sent off to the various parties.
      Are any of you developing such a tool or tools?  Similarly, have any
of you approached potential publishers to help in the development of such
tools?  Obviously, I don't wish to reinvent the wheel, and this email
archive did not show any previous posting along these lines (unless I
missed it).  Of course, if anyone is interested in collaborating, please
let me know. I have already initiated talks with publishers in the physics
and biomedical fields on this topic.
     Thanks.

Michael

Michael R. Leach
Harvard University, Kummel Library of Geological Sciences & Physics
Research Library
617-495-2878 or -2029 (voice); leach at eps.harvard.edu or mrleach at fas.harvard.edu