[Dspace-general] DSpace and learning objects

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 24 12:07:56 EDT 2004

Hi Louise,

 From what I've heard, lots of institutions are interested in this.

Start by looking at DLearn: https://dlearn.arizona.edu/index.jsp from the
University of Arizona. MIT is also working on this in a couple of ways:
-- in our collaboration with Cambridge University we're investigating
improvements to the system for supporting learning objects (e.g. support
for the JSR168 portlet spec, support for IMS LOM metadata, support for
interoperability with learning/course management systems via OKI and other
protocols, etc.)
-- we have project funded to figure out how to archive OpenCourseWare
(course material for 2000 MIT courses) in DSpace, including metadata and
packaging requirements, dealing with course websites, and dealing with
disaggregating websites into component learning objects.

So I think you can expect to see a lot of progress in this area over the
next year, and there will be a SIG for this starting up soon which you'd be
very welcome to join.

As for the DC question, there is such an initiative at
http://dublincore.org/groups/education/. I think that's what the GEM
initiative is using, or plans to use...

MacKenzie