[Crib-list] CRIBB Seminar -- Speaker: Rahul Sahay (Harvard) - Friday, January 5, 2024 @ 12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM -- via ZOOM

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Wed Jan 3 18:31:02 EST 2024

                           VIRTUAL Seminar...

           COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR
                               (CRIBB)

   ZOOM meeting info...

                    https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770

                    Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

====================================

DATE:	Friday, January 5, 2024

TIME:	12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM  (Eastern Standard Time)

=====================================

SPEAKER:  Rahul Sahay  (Harvard)

TITLE: Quantum Spin Lakes: Non-Equilibrium Spin Liquids for Near-Term
Quantum Devices

ABSTRACT::

Dynamical parameter sweeps are ubiquitously used for exploring ground
state phase diagrams in analog quantum simulators. However, conventional
lore dictates that the presence of unavoidable quantum phase
transitions---at which a time-evolving quantum system falls out of
equilibrium---limits the ability of these sweeps to prepare interesting
equilibrium ground states. In this talk, we counter this lore and show
that there are situations where the non-equilibrium nature of a
dynamical sweep can enable the creation of exotic states of matter, even
in the absence of the desired ground states. For instance, we highlight
a non-equilibrium mechanism wherein a simple Hamiltonian parameter sweep
can project out anyons and prepare quantum spin liquid (QSL) states,
despite the ground state of the Hamiltonian failing to be a QSL. We show
that this mechanism sheds light on recent experimental and numerical
observations of the dynamical state preparation of the ruby lattice spin
liquid in Rydberg atom arrays. Moreover, this theory suggests a tree
tensor network-based numerical tool that quantitatively reproduces the
experimental data two orders of magnitude faster than conventional
brute-force simulation methods. Time permitting, we highlight that even
spin liquid states that are unstable in equilibrium---namely, 2 + 1D
U(1) spin liquid states---become accessible by such non-equilibrium
dynamics.

     https://math.mit.edu/crib/

Shirley Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II