[Crib-list] MIT Numerical Linear Algebra Seminar -- Spk. Jorge Garza-Vargas (Caltech) -- Friday, Oct. 20th @ 1:00 - 2:00 PM in Math, Room 2-449

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Thu Oct 19 16:29:07 EDT 2023

                  MIT Numerical Linear Algebra Seminar

DATE:     Friday, October 20, 2023

TIME:     1:00 PM

LOCATION: Building 2, Room 449

SPEAKER:   Jorge Garza-Vargas  (Caltech)

TITLE:     Rigorous Guarantees for Randomized Diagonalization Algorithms

ABSTRACT:

The task of designing efficient and reliable algorithms for computing
the eigenvalues
and eigenvectors of a matrix (i.e. solving the eigenvalue problem) is of
unquestionable relevance in science and engineering. However, despite
substantial
progress on several of its practical facets, there are fundamental
theoretical questions
about the eigenvalue problem that remain poorly understood.

In this talk, I will present results that provide rigorous guarantees
for two of the most
commonly used diagonalization algorithms. Specifically, we show that the
eigenvalue problem
can be solved (via the spectral bisection algorithm) in nearly
matrix-multiplication time
and that a certain randomized shifting strategy for the QR algorithm is
globally
convergent (implying an O(n3) worst-case running time for this
algorithm).

A key step in our analysis requires understanding the spectral stability
properties of
arbitrary deterministic matrices that have been randomly perturbed by a
very small
"noise matrix". With this, in the spirit of smoothed analysis, we can
show rigorous
guarantees for the aforementioned algorithms when run on tiny
perturbations of
arbitrary (possibly non-normal) inputs.

This is joint work with Jess Banks, Archit Kulkarni, and Nikhil
Srivastava.

Shirley Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II
MIT - Math Dept.