[Cad] Fwd: [brlcad-devel] Thesis in CAD

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 17:15:45 EST 2015

From: Christopher Sean Morrison <brlcad at mac.com>
Date: Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [brlcad-devel] Thesis in CAD

Hi Jasleen,

Lots of thesis ideas that come to mind.  Most are a bit costly to describe
without discussion, though.  If you join IRC, I’ll gladly talk with you
through some possibilities.  Regardless, here are some potential topic
areas from which a variety of theses could be scoped:

Coherent Boolean evaluation
        this includes subtopics like NMG/poly eval that Daniel mentioned
but also NURBS and raytrace eval too
Geometry compression / representation simplification
        this includes feature/shape detection and going from points, poly,
or nurbs to parametric/implicit forms
        this could also include shape matching via Genetic Programming
Efficiency of geometry representation formats
        implications of poly vs volumetric vs nurbs vs implicit vs …
On CAD UI design
        what is common, required, fitz metrics on common tasks, etc
Database query language design for 3d solid geometry
        tradeoffs storing geometry in sql, nosql, newsql form
Shape from consumer video imagery
        acquire detailed 3d models using an iphone/android handheld device

Just the tips of a few possible icebergs.  Given your interest, I’d suggest
coming up with a topic that spans both image processing and CAD (e.g., CAD
rendering).

Cheers!
Sean

On Oct 29, 2015, at 3:44 PM, Jasleen Kaur <jasleen.7956 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am doing masters in Computer Science Engineering. I have
> Dissertation submission in my Master's degree, which I didn't decided
> yet what to do in it. I have interest in Computer Graphics, CAD and
> Digital Image processing and I wish to do my Thesis with CAD. I need
> help with possible topics for thesis.
>
> --
> Jasleen Kaur
> jasleen7956.wordpress.com