[Cad] Which CAD Kernel Should the FOSS and OSHW Communities Focus On?

Jeremy Wright wrightjmf at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 22:59:17 EST 2015

The answer to this question may come out of the discussions during the
Hangouts, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

>From discussions that I've heard and read over the last two weeks
developing a CAD kernel, or getting an existing one to a proper condition,
will be a monumental task. Is there a single methodology (F-Rep, B-Rep,
NURBS) that the various open source (and open hardware) communities could
focus on developing, or is it not a one-size-fits-all situation?

>From the research I've done, there are three main open source kernels with
very different methodologies.

1. OpenCASCADE (B-Rep)
2. CGAL (F-Rep)
3. OpenNURBS (NURBS)

Even if one of those specific implementations isn't the silver bullet, does
one of those methods stand out from the others? If there was one technology
to put everyone's weight behind, would it be B-Rep, F-Rep or NURBS (or
something else)?

Thanks,

Jeremy