[acs-r] 2016 1-year data - unable to acquire

Meagan Pharis mpharis at pewtrusts.org
Wed Oct 4 14:55:25 EDT 2017

I'm also unable to acquire ACS 2016 1-year data using acs.fetch. I believe the function is calling the wrong url. My code, error message, and suggestion below.

Code:
phila = geo.make(state = "PA", county = 101, check = T)
test <- acs.fetch(2016, span = 1, geography = phila, variable = "B01003_001E")
Returns:

Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection

In addition: Warning message:

No data found at:

  https://api.census.gov/data/2016/acs1?key=9f1ca4bc23f2ff77ab0471d2c80758717b116428&get=B01003_001EE,B01003_001EM,NAME&for=county:101&in=state:42

The correct url would be: https://api.census.gov/data/2016/acs/acs1?key=....
See the extra "/acs/" in the url?

I believe this is a census api address schema change. They've left the older ones open, allowing for call on 2015 acs data to still work.

Thank you,

Meagan Pharis
Senior Associate, Research and Science - Philadelphia Research Initiative
The Pew Charitable Trusts
2005 Market Street, 28th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
p: 215-575-4773 | e: mpharis at pewtrusts.org<mailto:mpharis at pewtrusts.org> |  www.pewtrusts.org<http://www.pewtrusts.org/>