[acs-r] Make "204 No Content" an acceptable status code

Ezra Haber Glenn eglenn at mit.edu
Fri Feb 17 08:46:11 EST 2017

Thanks for your email, and for using the package.  The package is
pretty bad at this sort of "error-handling," and I agree it would be
great if it was smarter about it -- maybe issuing a warning but still
returning a well-formatted, empty acs object, as you suggest.

The package is long overdue for an update, partially because I'm sort
of looking for someone to help with maintenance and future development
(any interest?), but I'll definitely add this to the "feature request"
list.

Thanks.

--Ezra

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 01:42:52 -0500, Jianchao Yang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, thanks for creating this awesome tool.
>
> I found that when fetching data for a (valid) geographic unit without any data, census.gov API returns status code 204. But `acs` code breaks in this case.
>
> Wouldn’t it be nicer if it just returns empty values?
>

> Thanks,
> Jianchao

Ezra Haber Glenn, AICP
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave., Room 7-346
Cambridge, MA 02139
eglenn at mit.edu