[acs-r] Error message in acs 2.0

Ganz, Carl carlganz at ucla.edu
Mon Apr 18 20:43:28 EDT 2016

Hello Jonah,

I have had similar problems when dealing with geographies with many elements. I am guessing that you generated your geo.set by passing a vector of desired census tracts rather than doing something like,

geo.set(state=”IL”, county=”Cook”, tract=”*”)

As a result, your geo.set list has 591 geo objects. From my experience, any geo.set list with more than 550 elements will generate the error you mentioned. I have no idea whether this is a design decision, a bug, or some other issue.

When I had this problem I divided my geo.set into two geo.sets, each with less than 550 elements, fetched results for the two geographies, and then combined the output. Perhaps there is a more elegant workaround.

Kind Regards,
Carl Ganz
Assistant Statistician
UCLA Center for Health Policy Research