[acs-r] How to include STATE and COUNTY FIPS codes in ACS.FETCH

Nevin Krishna nevin.krishna at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 13:00:32 EDT 2014

Hi All,

The following code extracts key ACS variables for a given state. The
geographic variables in "us.fb" are the "spelled out" state and county
names. Since I am using this data to eventually merge with other
datasets by geography I would like to use something a little less
error prone than the spelled out counties. I am wondering if and how I
can retrieve the FIPS codes for state and County in the acs.fetch function.

library(acs)
us.county=geo.make(state="GA", county="*")
us.fb= acs.fetch(geography=us.county,
variable=c("B05006_110","B05006_111","B05006_112"), endyear=2012)
us.fb

Thanks for any advice!
Nevin