[acs-r] 2012 5 year acs is out

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sat Jan 11 01:01:58 EST 2014

Interesting side note - I was hacking around on this today and noticed
something - the XML file listing the 2012 variable names has a much
different naming scheme than the previous two. The names are

http://www.census.gov/developers/data/acs_5yr_2010_var.xml
http://www.census.gov/developers/data/acs_5yr_2011_var.xml
http://www.census.gov/developers/data/2012_acs5_variables.xml

I've hacked up my code (https://github.com/znmeb/pdxcensusdata) and renamed
the 2012 file to the same format as 2010 and 2011. If you're just
interested in the table names, see the CSV files in that repo. I'm about to
code up a demo with the Gini coefficients of the PDX metro area to the
finest granularity I can get - it should be up in the repo Sunday.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Ezra Haber Glenn <eglenn at mit.edu> wrote:

> As long as you are using the current version of the acs.R package
> (1.1), the acs.fetch command will actually succeed in fetching the
> 2012 data, despite this warning message.  Since R is notoriously
> silent when completing commands, users may mistake the warning for a
> failure, but the data should be there.  That said, I do need to update
> the scripts to remove this warning for the next version of the
> package.
>
> As for a list of all ACS tables supported by the package, it should be
> the same as those available through the census API, as described here:
> http://www.census.gov/developers/data/.  In the sidebar on the left,
> there are links to describe all table and variables.  (The one
> important difference being that the acs.R package does not fetch the
> "data profile" tables, since these are pretty different in character
> from most of the other available tables -- more like mini-reports,
> really.)
>
> Thanks for using the package, and I hope this helps clarify things a
> bit.
>
> --Ezra
>

> At Sun, 29 Dec 2013 18:26:30 -0800, Anon RUser wrote:
> >
> > [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> > [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> >
> > [1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> > The census just released the 2012 5 year ACS:
> > http://www.census.gov/acs/www/data_documentation/2012_release/
> >
> > But when I tried to use acs.R to get data from it I got this message:
> > In acs.fetch(endyear = endyear, span = span, geography = geography[[1]],
>  :
> >   As of the date of this version of the acs package
> >   Census API did not provides data for selected endyear
> >
> > Is there an ETA for acs.R supporting this data?
> >
> > Also, I finally found a page listing all the ACS ever done:
> >
> http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/help/jsf/pages/metadata.xhtml?lang=en&type=survey&id=
> > survey.en.ACS_ACS
> >
> > But when I try to access a lot of this data via the acs.R package I get
> errors saying that
> > it's not available via the census api.  Is there any source listing
> which subset of this
> > data is available via the api?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
>
> --
> Ezra Haber Glenn, AICP
> Department of Urban Studies and Planning
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> 77 Massachusetts Ave., Room 7-337
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> eglenn at mit.edu
> http://dusp.mit.edu/faculty/ezra-glenn |
> http://eglenn.scripts.mit.edu/citystate/
> 617.253.2024 (w)
> 617.721.7131 (c)

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench
http://j.mp/CompJournBench/

Get out of the building - and don't come back till you have the order!