[acs-r] data by school district

Ezra Haber Glenn eglenn at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 18 15:37:35 EST 2014

Sure.  The idea behind these summary levels is that there are actually
different sorts of things that might be called "school districts" in
different places, and also there might be places that don't fit into
these categories, or places that belong to more than one of them.

So, if a place has a single district (a single governmental body) for
both the elementary and the secondary school, that would be a "unified
district."  Of course, there may different *actual schools* for
elementary and high school (and maybe even multiple elementary
schools, a junior high, special ed, etc.), but if it is all under the
management of a single school board and superintendent (or other
oversight model), then it is a "unified district."

On the other hand, in some places the elementary school may be governed
by one district and the secondary school by another (often larger) one
-- for example, a small town that runs K-8, but then sends kids to a
regional school district with two other towns.  So for that, there
might be three different elementary school districts (one for each
town), and one larger overlapping secondary school district.

As for "/Remainder," that is a standard Census term, indicating that
in addition to the data for each named district, they will aggregate
all the other people or households -- the ones that for some reason
don't belong to any district of that type -- and report them as the
remainder.  For stuff like states or counties, which abut each other
and cover all the country, they don't have this, but other geographies
(like school districts, and lots of other things), they do include it.
(As an example, imagine getting data on population in Nevada by
American Indian Area.  You'd expect a lot of people in the state don't
live in any of these -- they'd be reported in the Remainder.)

Hope that helps.

--Ezra

At Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:05:59 +0000, Jacobs, Tim W wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
>
> [1.2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Thank you Ezra. I believe I want summary level 970(State-School District(Unified)/
> Remainder). But I must admit I’m fairly ignorant about the entire ACS data sets. I’m not
> entirely clear how I can find out when I would want to query for elementary and secondary
> vs. unified, and I don’t know what the meaning of “/Remainder” is (or if it is
> significant). Any pointers to documentation would be helpful.
>
> Thanks again for the help and for the great acs package.
>

> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

Ezra Haber Glenn, AICP
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave., Room 7-337
Cambridge, MA 02139
eglenn at mit.edu