[acs-r] acs.R version 1.2: Now, with 2012 data

arilamstein@gmail.com arilamstein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 22:13:04 EST 2014

Hi Ezra,

Thanks for including this update.  I'm having a tough time figuring out
what data is available via acs.R.  From what you've said before, I gather
that it's "whatever is available via the Census API".  But that is also not
clear to me.  For example, I found this page on the census website, which I
think lists all ACS ever conducted:

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/help/jsf/pages/metadata.xhtml?lang=en&type=survey&id=survey.en.ACS_ACS

But when I tried to get the 2005 or 2007 ACS I get an error message and
lots of warnings.  Do you have any documentation of what data your package
supports retrieving?

I am interested in making animated gifs where each frame is a choropleth of
some demographic measurement at a particular year.  Right now that's
difficult because I'm just going hit or miss thru the list, and it seems to
be a lot of misses.

Also, in version 1.0 of choroplethr I am just using the 2011 (default) ACS.
 In subsequent versions I would like users to use whatever (year, span)
combinations acs.R supports.  I would also like to distribute a list of
available data with my code, but right now I don't have one.

Thanks.

Ari