[Physics opps] Fwd: [Sponge-talk] Job Opportunity in Florida

8-opps@mit.edu 8-opps at mit.edu
Tue Jul 14 16:24:47 EDT 2009

Looking for recent grads, full-time, see below...

Hey all,
So I am currently at an internship with Harris Corporation in Melbourne,
Florida. I was recently informed that the department I work for, the
Electro-Optics sector of Harris' Government Communications and Systems
Division, is looking for new grads to hire...and they need them pretty badly
from what I hear. Based on experience and qualification, Harris is willing to
hire new grads right now with salaries higher than normal entry-level
positions. Also, the contact, my boss, who is giving me this info has informed
me that and interested applicants will have an expedited application process
directly through the Electro-Optics department without the hassle of waiting
for infinite amounts of paperwork to be processed.

They would prefer applicants who have had some experience or have taken a course
on electro-optics material but it is not a requirement as long as there is an
interest. The official job description I was told to distribute is as follows:

"Electro-optical system/device engineering requires an understanding of the
principles of communications systems with an emphasis in high speed digital (up
to 40GHz) fiber optic communications standards and system components, optical
modulation formats, analog and digital electronic interfaces to electro-optic
devices, fiber and bulk optical system/device modeling.  Preferred
Electro-Optic Skills: optical communication system design and test, optical
link budget analysis; analysis and simulation with tools such as MATLAB,
Agilent ADS, Concept HDL, RSOFT, VPI, and ZEMAX; practical hands-on experience
characterizing optical systems and components utilizing digital communication
signal analyzers, optical and RF spectrum analyzers, high speed optical and RF
modulation sources and detectors, and other electro-optical test and
measurement equipment."

Harris is very good with helping new grads to find housing in the area and such.
Many of the new grad I've met have seemed to make the transition quite easily.
The only mandatory requirement is that the applicant MUST be a U.S. citizen due
to the level of security present on their facilities. If anyone is interested in
this job or would like more information please feel free to contact me
(batista at mit.edu) and I can get you in touch with my supervisor. If you aren't
a new grad but have friends (from any university) who are interested let them
know as well. It is not going to be first-come-first serve as they are looking
for certain academic requirements but this is the only division of this company
not under the hiring freeze right now so jobs will go soon.

Thanks,
Mike